Monday 10 September 2007

Exam next week!!!

I'm writing from my office now, so this post has to be in English.

Next week Tues and Thurs, from 10am-2pm, I will be writing my second set of comprehensive exams. On Tues, I will spend 2 hours on writing essays about Hellenistic Judaism, then another 2 on the Gospel of John. On Thurs, it will be a 4-hour spree of essay-writing on various NT topics. It is hard to guess what will be up, but I'm anticipating some questions on the synoptic Gospels, may be historical Jesus. And since my first reader S. Westerholm is a Pauline maniac, I should be prepared for questions on Pauline thinking or writings too.

Really, the one topic I hate most in the course of my studying is sociology and the New Testament. I hope that it won't show up. But if disaster strikes and it does appear, then I will need to mention stuff like the Church-Sect model associated with Weber, Troelsch, and Scroggs, the Millenarian model associated with Gager, Meeks, and Jewett, and also the charismatic model associated with originally Weber, then big guns like Hengel and Gerd Theissen. I can say something on this topic like the above, but I still hope it won't show up. Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't...